Students star in Upstate College of Medicine video

SUNY Upstate medical students video

Upstate medical students Marika Toscano and Brian Smerkers are filmed by videographer Ben Richardson of Solon Quinn Studios, outside of the Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital.

A new promotional video for Upstate’s College of Medicine features several current students and another who graduated in May and is now a physician.

“Four Students, Four Years, One College” is Upstate’s second collaboration with Solon Quinn Studios of Syracuse. The company also produced “The Upstate Difference,” a one-minute video targeting prospective students for all four colleges at Upstate.

SUNY Upstate medical student video

Videographer Solon Quinn prepares to interview Upstate medical student Ryan Cuff last spring. Cuff graduated in May and is now a first-year resident at the Medical University of South Carolina.

The new, 2 1/2-minute video traces the path of four years of medical school from the perspective of an Upstate student in each of the four years — Marika Toscano, Natalie Mora, Sam Schueler and Ryan Cuff. Other medical students assisted with the project, and will be in a subsequent video.

The students were interviewed last spring at Solon Quinn Studios in Syracuse, then videotaped in the fall at Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital. The students discuss why they have chosen to pursue a career as a physician and how Upstate’s College of Medicine is helping them along that journey.

“I grew up with a brother who has muscular dystrophy,” Marika says. “Medicine has always been really involved in my life, and that is my motivation for studying. When it feels like I can’t fit anything else in my brain, I just think, well, I can because these other people will need me to in the future.”

Sam talks about attending physicians who have taught him and inspired him every step of the way.

“I just think of having all these experiences that continuously push me to be better than I was the day before,” he says. “That’s what Upstate means to me.”

Check out the video.

This entry was posted in College of Medicine, doctoral program, Golisano Children's Hospital, medical student, Student Admissions, SUNY, Upstate and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.