New York State Library – FAQ
Effective April 22, 2013 the Document Delivery Department in the Health Sciences Library will no longer be delivering articles that are available at the New York State Library (NYSL) .
Due to unsustainable price increases, the Health Sciences Library no longer provides direct access to all Elsevier/Science Direct journals. Instead, the Library licenses targeted Elsevier journals. The majority of the Elsevier/Science Direct journals, such as ScienceDirect, are available online from the web site of the New York State Library (NYSL) in Albany.
The NYSL provides online access to the majority of its collections, now numbering over 20 million items. These collections are a valuable supplement to Upstate’s licensed resources, expanding access to databases and journals in several relevant areas including: health & medicine; biological sciences; and psychology. The NYSL also provides access to several grant databases and accepts search requests via email.
Who is eligible for a NYSL card?
How do I get a NYSL card?
* The application form is available at http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/apply.htm.
* To expedite the processing of your application, complete the form and either FAX, email or mail directly to the NY State Library. A photocopy of your Upstate ID is required. Please remember to sign the application.
* Please contact the Library if you need assistance – email@example.com, 464-7091
After the NY State Library receives my application, how long will it take to get my card?
* Turn around time is at least 2 weeks from the time the NYSL receives and processes your application.
Where do they send my card? Home or work?
* Your NYSL card will be mailed to your home address.
How long is my card valid, and how do I renew it?
*Your NYSL card is valid for two years. The NYSL will contact you directly with instructions for card renewals.
What if I lose my pin or card number?
* Please complete the Borrower’s Card Number/PIN request form.
What if I am a student or Research Foundation employee?
* Please note Research Foundation employees and UPSTATE students do not have access to journals through NYSL.
* You may request articles through the Library’s Document Delivery service
* If you are a Research Foundation employee, please include a message in the notes field within ILLiad.
* There is no fee for this service.
What journals are available and how do I access them?
* The New York State Library (NYSL) maintains an excellent collection of medical and scientific journals including all the Science Direct titles available on the Elsevier Freedom Plan. Free online access is available to all in-state physicians and permanent state employees through the NYSL’s E-Journals list.
* The NYSL maintains an E-Journals list that operates just like the A-Z list here at the HSL. Based upon an article citation, you would access the journal and then open to the corresponding date, volume, and pages for the article you need. You will login to the website with your NYSL card information.
Can I check NYSL holdings from Upstate HSL databases?
* Yes, from the HSL’s databases you can check holdings at the NYSL by clicking the link “Check holdings at the New York State Library (for all NY State Employees and NY State physicians)” from our Article Linker Results Page. See screenshot below.
What if I have other questions?
* Please call our library reference desk at 464-4581 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* A reference librarian is available M-F from 9 am – 5 pm and Saturday from 11am – 2 pm.